Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Make a Splash

Let's discuss back splashes for a moment. HGTV has sufficiently covered the fact that it is an easy and relatively inexpensive (compared to gutting your kitchen) way to update your kitchen. There are zillions of fantastic options made of a million kinds of different materials so your choices can be overwhelming. Some things to consider that might help you make your decision:

1. Size: Playing with scale and using large or small tiles can make a big impact depending on a few factors. Smaller tiles are going to look more lively, even if it is a simple shape/color/material. Something to consider carefully if you are using a very active or modeled counter top material. Larger tiles are going to read in a more singular statement and look a bit more fluid, which, if you have a more modern space will add to that sleek dynamic. Or you could go super large with sheets to back painted glass, which is something I LOVE to do.


Tiny tiles, big impact.


Or go super large with back painted glass sheets (in this case, stripes)


2. Color: Use this to your advantage. If you have a very simple color scheme going on, punch up your space with some color. If you have lime green counter tops (see image)that this opportunity to let your other areas of interest to be the star and go with a neutral, more simpler option for the back splash.


Pop with color on your back splash OR


on your counter tops...BUT NOT BOTH!


3. Maintenance: What does it take to keep your chosen material clean? If you are the type who uses your oven for extra space for your sweaters, you could probably pick something that would be a little less practical then the budding Nigella Lawson, who will no doubt be scrubbing with 409 on a regular basis. If you hate fingerprints, metal tiles or sheets would probably not be the best option for you.


Windex is your best friend and all you need.


Glazed ceramic is easy to clean, with 409, Windex, Fabuloso (my favorite) or whatever.

3 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Hi glad to have found your blog..am new to blogging, and enjoyed this post about windex. Agree about the windex, my best friend in the kitchen and bathrooms for sure! I will be back..please visit me at
www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

Its a newer blog about my passion for decor/design and the building of our new home....please stop by.

Blayne Macauley said...

I love this post! i currently have no backspalsh in my kitchen, but I do have lime green countertops! I was thinking of getting rid of the countertops, but now am thinking I might just update the backsplash and leave the countertops :) Love these options!

Niki P. said...

@enchanted home: glad you found me too! I hope you like me!

@blayne: keep the lime green! I currently have no backspalsh either at my house, but I want to revamp the whole kitchen so I am holding off...but I don't really cook so it doesn't really matter anyway!